Friday, June 1, 2012

Goodbye Gophers....

So I am thinking of writing a book called 1001 non-electrical uses for electrical conduit. Here are a few of the projects I have used it for.  My father-in-law has a lot of scrap conduit around just waiting to be experimented with.


This is a 'gopher fan'.  It is supposed to blow the gophers out of the garden.  Not.  It is actually supposed to create vibration in the ground that will scare the gophers out of the garden area.  Hmm... sounds iffy.  Mostly I was just looking for an excuse to practice welding and thought this would be a fun project.  I did it without instructions and sort of made up the process as I went along.  You will see what I mean in the pictures.
Stabilizer leg.
This will be crimped and welded to create a point.
Ready for welding.
I drilled a hole and then welded a nut over it so that I could use the bolt as a retainer for the fan shaft. Notice the carriage bolt welded upside down on the conduit for a pivot :D Improvisation.



I welded a gusset plate into the corner so that I can step on the base to push it into the ground without bending the conduit.

Completed fan.  It has a long hex bolt and a couple of washers for the shaft, another improvisation. Thanks to Lucas for the attic fan blades, his ingenious improvisation!

Phoenix being TERRIFIED of the little fan!

Below is another project I did with old conduit- a wind chime holder for Becky's horse wind chime. We love the sound it makes- it sounds like a bell in a harbor! 


3 comments:

  1. woah, that was wierd! when i first started reading this post i thought becky was the one writing... i was thinking, "wow, i thought i knew becky pretty well but i did NOT know she was into welding... and that's kinda wierd that mr. youngs would have a bunch of scrap electrical stuff..."

    = D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your cool "signatures". Now I know who is posting. Not that I had too much trouble figuring out who would have 1001 uses for electrical conduit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha Blair you stole the words from my mouth! I was very confused/surprised at the fact that "Becky" knew how to weld!

    ReplyDelete