Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Cakes in a Jar... what not to do.


Lately I have been going through this 'jar craze'. I don't know how to describe exactly, except that I feel everything would be better with a Jar.

Well, I am not sure if I think that anymore.

I decided to make cakes in a jar. There were so many pretty pictures of cakes in jars and I thought it would be a perfect idea for a picnic for my moms birthday. So I made a white cake, separated it into three bowls and made one into chocolate and one into mocha. I then filled several jars with layers of the cake and baked them. They were quite pretty to start out with. Unfortunately I put in too much cake, because there was not enough room to frost the cake and still get a lid on. I had to take them out and cut them in half and they didn't look pretty anymore. So, from my learning experience, I give you: what not to do if you decide to make cakes in a jar.

1. Don't fill the jars even to half way. They might still be pretty, but don't you want frosting? I do!


2. Don't forget to oil the inside of your jars, or you won't be able to get them out if they do get too tall to frost. 
The cake cut in half....

 3. Don't frost with ganache.  I decided to give them some ganache to add a bit of flavor...but it dripped down the sides and made the jars look dirty.

4. If you don't have a proper tool for piping frosting, and if you decide to do it in a plastic bag, DONT cut two holes in one bag because the first hole was too big. The frosting will go EVERYWHERE and it will be really messy. Just go with the bigger size

Anyway, this is what I learned from making them. They tasted really yummy and were a fun thing to have on my mom's birthday. I really think they would be a great idea for birthdays while camping or on a picnic. They are unique and fun. 
 

1 comment:

  1. Ohh, ohhh! What a cute idea! I'm totally into canning jars right now too! I'm got stuff stored in them and canned in them but I haven't tried baking yet!

    Thanks for your tips.

    ReplyDelete