About a week ago, we were blessed to be able to go and gather apples at the home of one of the remodel homes Jordan has been working on. I was so excited to be able to do this, as there are so many uses for apples- both practical and non-practical (by that I mean, just plain old yummy, not necessarily impractical.)
I always lament the fact that so many apples go to waste in people's yards every year. I pass by the apples and wish that I could use them.
'If I had a tree, I would use them. I wouldn't let them go to waste.' I think to myself.
Well.... its a nice thought, but who knows if this is true. It is a time consuming thing to gather and process any sort of fruit... especially ones that involve peeling, cooking, canning, etc. So, I suppose I shouldn't say that, as I would probably face the same dilemma as any other person and not find the time to use all the apples.
Anyway, back to the original story. Oliver, my mom and I loaded up the car with buckets and the camera and headed to the home. It was a perfect day- crisp and sunny.
The apples are all organic and of three varieties. The woman wasn't sure what they all were with the exception of the fuji tree. It was a nice selection- one tart, one mild and hard for cooking, and the fuji, which is good for eating.
Oliver enjoyed the apple picking, but mostly enjoyed watching the dog that was helping us.
With all the wealth of apples we currently have, we have been enjoying many uses for them, including whole wheat apple scones, whole wheat applesauce spice cake, apple crumble bars, apple sauce, and Jordan's favorite- apple pie.
I will be posting recipes for our favorites, so please keep a look out! If anyone has any suggestions for processing (simple ones), please feel free to post a comment.
mmmm...i bet it was pretty out there, too! have you thought about making apple butter? that was my favorite, back in the good old days when i could eat apples...that, and apple crisp. my mom makes apple chips but i think you'd need a pretty heavy duty dehydrator to make that practical.
ReplyDeletenow i have owl city going through my head: "picking apples in late september like we've done for years..." =)
Yeah I have considered making apple butter.... I just haven't done it yet. :D I almost made it the other day on accident by cooking my sauce to long. I'm not sure I know that song- I will have to look it up! This is my favorite time of year... not quite fall yet, but its got that feeling in the air.
DeleteApple Sauce! Either peeled and cored, cooked with cinnamon and left chunky, or just cut out bad spots and cook the rest, then strain out the seeds - makes it bright pink and delicious! :) -Kt
ReplyDeleteHmmm I'm going to have to try the unpeeled version. I get so tired of peeling!!! I miss you! Do you remember that granola your mom used to send us made from apple sauce? mmm :)
Deleteapple juice :) yep! miss you too! <3 Kt
Deleteohhh apple juice. :) I knew it was apple something.
DeleteI like the cute little "pumpkin" with the knitted hat! =)
ReplyDelete