Friday, April 25, 2014

Chickens!


As many of you know, we are now chicken farmers! Well, not really. We only have four chickens and I don't think that would qualify us as chicken farmers. Actually, I don't even know if there is such a thing as a chicken farmer. Would you be a chicken farmer or a chicken rancher? 

Anyway, back to us and our chickens. We got four chickens a couple weeks ago from some friends who have quite a large flock of chickens. Jordan spent the week previous to this building a beautiful little chicken coop. He has some photos of the process, which I will have to have him post himself, as I am not sure exactly how he would want them described. I am qualified, however, to show you the photos of the finished product and its occupants! 



The coop photos are not the best, as we have bird netting on top of the chicken pen.

Oliver enjoys watching the chickens, feeding them, filling their water and chasing them around.

Feeding the new hens.

Checking for eggs! "Momma, no eggs..." This was his answer for the first bit, but now we are getting at least 2 eggs a day! Two hens are laying regularly. One hen lays sometimes and the last one looks to be too old to lay at all.

In this picture, the roof for the nesting area is unfinished...


Our four ladies. Picture below- front to back: Agatha, Chocolate, Star and Christie. Agatha and Christie are look-alikes (although Christie looks more like a dragon than a chicken, in my opinion). Jordan picked those names! Chocolate and Star were named by our dear little guy. He picked out those names before we ever had our chickens. My favorite is Chocolate. She was the only chicken I actually picked out... the others were just the ones that ended up coming home with us. She is pretty and lays lovely brown eggs. Agatha (at the front) is our trouble maker. She escapes and has eaten her own eggs a couple times. She lays lovely green eggs, which she now escapes the coop and lays in the hay in the barn. Oliver and I go in and find the eggs later in the day. Its a fun adventure for him!




Phoenix is actually a chicken at heart too. I am not joking. 



The horses are being quite generous in sharing their barn with the chickens.


Thank you to our friends for our new chickens! We look forward to lots of fresh eggs and hopefully nothing too adventurous with these new additions to our 'farm'.

1 comment: