Saturday, July 21, 2012

Whole Wheat Oat Scones



Its funny the things you make when you only have a few ingredients in your house. The other day, I was out of white flour, out of eggs, out of dried fruit and nuts.... all the normal things that I use in baking. Anyway, I wanted to make something to have around for snacking and breakfast and guests, so I decided to try out some 100% whole wheat scones as opposed the the 1/2 whole wheat that I generally do.  I thoroughly enjoyed the way these turned out- very wholesome but satisfyingly sweet.


Whole Wheat Oat Scones
Adapted from Homestead Revival

2 cups whole wheat flour (Trader Joes is what I used)
1 tablespoon baking powder
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into tiny pieces (1/4 inch or smaller cubes)
1 cup half and half
1 cup oats
Filling: apricot jam. Anything would be good here! Other jams, cinnamon sugar, chocolate.... 




Preheat oven to 425. Mix dry ingredients together, cut in the butter till it resembles breadcrums, then the half in half until the dough holds together. Add whatever add ins you like. Transfer dough to floured surface. Turn dough a few times to work it into a well floured ball. Roll or press into a large circle. (9" approximately if you are not putting in a filling. I rolled mine about 14" so I could fold it back over). If adding filling, spread filling on one side of a the large circle, fold other half of dough over, press together and cut into small or large triangles. Bake for 15 min or until golden, then frost glaze, dust, or whatever you would like! 


Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! I'll definitely try these, Becky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well now . . . these look good enough for you to bring some by.
    Dad Y.

    ReplyDelete