Oliver and I slept in one morning last week. It was one of those days
when getting up seemed impossible, and fortunately, it was possible for
me not to! Jordan got up while I was sleeping and began baking me a
delicious coffee cake as a surprise. Knowing I like to have an excuse to
blog, he took photos of the process.
This recipe came from the book you see in the photo above- a gift from some friends for my wedding shower- The America's Test Family Cookbook.
Simple Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake
Topping
1/3 c light brown sugar
1/3 c granulated sugar
1 T cinnamon
1 T butter, melted and cooled
1 c pecans/almonds/walnuts chopped coarse
Cake
3 c all purpose flour
1 T baking powder
1 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon
1/4 t salt
1 3/4 c buttermilk or yogurt
1 c light brown sugar
1 c granulated sugar
3 eggs
7 T butter melted and cooled
1. Preheat oven to 350 and grease 9 X 13 pan.
2. Stir all topping ingredients together except nuts until it looks like wet sand, adding the nuts at the end.
3. Mix dry ingredients (minus sugars) in a large bowl. Whisk the rest of the ingredients until smooth in separate bowl. Fold egg mixture into flour mixture and stir till smooth and combined.
4. Scrape into prepared pan. Bake until golden and passes the toothpick test. (40-45 min)
Jordan added the apricot-orange variation:
1 cup of dried apricots and 1 teaspoon grated orange zest (stir into batter)
The lovely finished coffee cake, which we enjoyed for several days. Mmmm.....
Abby C: "That looks good!"
ReplyDeleteRebekah C: "Way to go, Jordan! I,m sure that Becky really appreciated your surprise!"
Smiles, From the Two of Us.
Uhh, what happened to my brother???
ReplyDeleteSeriously, Jordan, what a way to bless your wife!
This was a very yummy cake ... I had 2 pieces! Good job, Jordan!
ReplyDelete