Friday, April 1, 2011

Some experiments

So I had some ingredients to use up before they weren't usable anymore... yogurt, mushrooms, broccoli... etc. Earlier this week I made some delicious croutons out of garlic bread before it went stale... but we don't eat croutons, so I wanted to use those too. These things equalled quiche and scones. I have never made quiche with croutons before, nor have I made scones with yogurt, so it was an experiment! 


Quiche
Recipe below is for both of the following quiche recipes together. I have found that I can sorta throw whatever together for a quiche....so I sorta made up quantities. :) 
Crust: 
For 9 " crouton crust:
Fill base of pie pan with croutons, any flavor or homemade.

For Mini quiches:
Short Crust
1 cup flour ( have used both white and wheat... Jordan likes white better. I have found wheat gets soggy )
1 stick of butter (cold) 
3 - 5 tbsp ice water

Cut butter into flour until it forms crumb like substance and then gradually sprinkle water on, mixing until it comes together in a ball. Cool in fridge for 15-30 min. I then take pieces and press them into muffin tins, and bake at 350 or 375 until golden. While this is cooling/ baking I make the filling below. 

Filling

Sauteed ingredients:
1 cup chopped cooked ham
2 cups of finely cut up mushrooms and broccoli
Olive oil 
Salt and Pepper to taste

Sauté the above ingredients together until vegetables are cooked but not soft. Add whatever spices desired. Let this cook while mixing the egg mixture and grating the cheese. 

Egg/cheese mixture:
For 9":
3 eggs
1 1/2 - 2 c of milk (depends on amount of filling/cheese used)
1/2- 1 c cheese (any kind, but I used monterey jack) 

For mini quiches:
Same as above. To make it easy, do both at once.

Mix together above ingredients. 

To put it together
Spread sauteed ingredients over base of both types of quiches. I then sprinkle cheese over that and then pour the egg mixture until it just covers the crusts. 

Bake at 350 until golden. 









Scones:

2 cups of flour
2 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
4 tbsp butter (cold and cut in pieces) 
1 cup yogurt (flavored or plain)
1/2 cup golden raisons

Mix dry ingredients together, then cut in butter until it resembles course crumbs. Mix in raisons, and then gently mix in yogurt until it holds together. Transfer to floured surface and knead for 30 seconds until smooth. Roll into a 9 " round and cut into triangles. Cook at 425 for 12-15 minutes until golden. 

I made a glaze for them, because they seemed bland. Maybe adding orange or lemon zest or vanilla to them would help.

Simple glaze:
2 tbsp butter
3 tbsp cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla 
3 tbsp granulated sugar

Mix butter, cream cheese and vanilla together, then add sugar gradually and spread on scones. Yummy! :) 





1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy and thrifty! A very good combination. :-)

    ReplyDelete