Thursday, March 24, 2011

Its been a while...

Well, I haven't written in a while. For some reason, I feel as though live has been in limbo for a couple weeks now... although I really don't know why. The rain continues to fall. The ground is entirely saturated. The plans we have been making to finish the barn, build an arena and put in a garden are all at a standstill until the ground dries out... which appears as though it may never happen. Perhaps instead we should buy a boat to sail in the lake that grows daily in our pasture. Our horses will have to learn to swim! 

Anyway, we have had a few things happen over the past couple weeks... Jordan is beginning his trade as a farrier. Hehe... just kidding. But he did get to pull a shoe! 



Our cat learned how to climb the trellis that is home to our large wisteria bush. He spent quite a bit of time up there, as Jordan insisted that he learn to find his own way down. I don't think he has gone up there since. 





Out of sheer love for my husband, I made Corned Beef and Cabbage a week ago on St. Patricks Day. I think it was good, as Corned Beef goes, but I don't like it myself. :) 




We had a great storm on Saturday night. We live directly beneath a large black walnut tree. It is slightly overgrown and needs to be trimmed back. The wind picked up to monumental amounts and we heard the trees outside groaning and the tree over our roof rubbing directly above us. I knew we would probably lose power so we filled kettles, pots and the bath tub and brought our shivering, wet horses inside with hay and grain. That sounds funny. Not inside with us... inside their stalls. We went to bed and slept for a bit, as the wind continued to blast outside. Then power went out with a beep and woke us. We heard the wind pick up and could not sleep because of fear of the tree falling on us. So, what did we do? We slept in our closet, with the cat. It sounds funny, but it was dark and warm and quiet, compared to our room. The cat liked it. He cuddled with me all night, purring loudly, which kept me awake... oh well! Anyway, no power in the morning still. It is amazing how much we take light, warmth and running water for granted. Even a few hours without it becomes miserable! Thankfully we got the power back late that evening, after a trip to the beach with my family. All of us were so excited when we got back and saw all the neighbors with lights! 

And yet, the storms continue, the lake grows, the power flickers. I know water is good and spring will come again, but I really can't wait! 



Next post will hopefully be "A Horse Named Hickory" or "A Racehorse for Jordan" or "Hickory the Racehorse" or something along those lines. :) Preferably by Jordan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment